Ideas For Unique Engagement Ring Engravings
An engraving on an engagement ring is the perfect way to give it a personal touch. It adds more meaning for the wearer without disrupting its original style or design. Moreover, it is a personalized message to which only you and your partner can distinguish the ring from all other similar designs. It symbolizes your love and reflects the unique bond between you and your partner. Ring engravings began in the courts of Medieval Europe. People would inscribe the words of love, poetry, and even their lover’s portrait so everyone would know about them. If you and your partner plan to get your rings engraved, this blog will provide you with some inspiration on how to go about it. We have some tips and ideas for you to consider when it comes to picking the material for engraving.
Let’s dive in!
When going for engravings, bear these tips in mind:
- First and foremost, the engraving should only be attempted by a skilled engraver. Do your research, ask as many questions as you like, and make sure you trust the engraver. Amateur work on an expensive diamond ring can damage or weaken its structure.
- The engraving must be legible.
- Choose a font size that is easily readable. The font should not be overly intricate, and the size should be big enough to decipher.
- Avoid long phrases for your engraving, as they will look cramped around the ring’s limited surface and circumference. Keep your sentiments short for a long-lasting impact!
- When picking sentiments, always go with something universal or timeless. Something as simple as your initials or “I will love you forever” can make the ring a great family heirloom too.
- When submitting text for the engraving, double check for any spelling or grammatical blunders. This is especially important if you’re getting a specific date or location engraved.
- Once the engraving is completed, clean it routinely to avoid any rusting or dirt buildup. While at it, be sure to use a soft-bristled for a gentle yet thorough clean, rather than scrubbing it with sandpaper.
- Choose your metal wisely. Gold, which tends to be a softer metal, is your best option for a hand engraving. Whereas with an engraving machine, you are better off choosing silver or platinum.
Check out Ring Guide to metals to help you decide which metal is best for you.
Engraving Ideas: What Should Your Ring Say?
Here lies the difficult part: the part where you choose what to inscribe on the ring. You may already have an idea, but if you don’t we are happy to suggest some common engravings couples get on their engagement rings and wedding bands.
This is the most popular engraving option among couples. Some get their first or last names engraved while others opt for the initials for a more defined, simple look. The inscription symbolizes the couple’s bond and how they complete each other.
2. Significant Dates
Since they are easy to engrave and hold a lot of sentiment, significant dates are another ideal choice to have on a ring that will be worn every day. It serves as a sweet reminder of an amazing day that holds importance for the two of you. They also make for a cleaner and prominent engraving, as they don’t involve many words. Even a full date inscription such as “August 26, 1997” is just the right amount of significance.
3. Significant Locations
Do you both have a particular location where you two first met, declared your love, or kissed? If that spot means the world to you and your partner, you can have it engraved instead of a name or date.
4. Lyrics or Poems
If you two have a song that expresses the feelings you have for each other, how about engraving that? Many times, couple comes in demanding that some lyric or poem verse be engraved on their bands. However, since most verses are at least 4-9 words long, the inscription can get a bit cramped. Therefore couples must always try and shorten their messages or have it engraved in the form of a split message.
5. Love Quotes
Sometimes, an author can translate your feelings on paper better than you could imagine. If that is the case, then perhaps you want a Nicholas Sparks or Shakespearian quote on your engagement ring that represents your journey with your significant other.
6. Funny Phrases
Couples whose relationship is full of smiles, jokes and laughter can inscribe something humorous on the engagement ring. This light-hearted humor will bring a smile to your face for years to come, and allow you to remember the deep connection between you and your partner.
7. Bible Verses
For those who are more religiously observant, perhaps you resonate with a Bible verse that captures the essence of your relationship. If the actual verse is too long, you can always engrave the name of the verse instead. You’ll save some space without sacrificing any of the message’s meaning!
8. Split Messages
Lastly, you can also get split messages on you and your partner’s rings. Split messages symbolize the union of two beautiful souls into an even more beautiful, everlasting relationship. Split a phrase into two and have one half engraved on your partner’s ring and the other on yours. That way, when you are together, your engagement bands will make sense of the complete phrase.